His father's tweet, which was shared more than 15,000 times, prompted a quick backlash and an apology from the clinic.

I was taken aback by the condition of the room, Dr. Karen Gribbin, the chief of staff of the Salt Lake VA, told Fox 13. The patient, Mr. Wilson should not have been placed in the room in that condition ... I do not want another veteran to experience this."

Wilson told the Deseret News that it "felt unsanitary" when he was treated with injections to his ankle. "When you think medical, you think sanitary," Wilson told the paper. "I've never experienced anything like that."

Gribbin told KSL the room looked like it was used for making plastic casts for diabetic patients, but that didn't mean the room was necessarily unsanitary.

"My understanding was that strictly these casts are applied in this room but there (are) not other types of debridement or surgical removal of tissue or anything like that that occurs (in the room), so I do not believe Mr. Wilson was exposed to any dangerous body fluids or blood," Gribbin told the station.. "But regardless, the room should have been cleaned before he was placed in it."

.